Friday, May 24, 2013

Homemade Pan Release

Everyone I know in the cake world raves about homemade pan release. I've always used cooking spray and a piece of parchment cut to size. It was just my personal preference. Notice I say "was".  In an effort to save my pans from the icky layer of residue that cooking spray leaves behind, I whipped up a batch of this stuff. Let me say, I am a believer! This stuff is like magic. Every single cake comes out perfect! Even the sides bake beautifully! And the best part- all of these items are probably already in your pantry!

Here's the recipe:

  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup shortening

Simply mix together ingredients and use a pastry brush to distribute generously. I prefer a silicone pastry brush. The cheaper brushes often leave behind pieces of fiber. No bueno. 


Take a look at this side by side comparison of pan spray and the homemade stuff:




No comments:

Post a Comment